Forums
Page
of 9

Brexit

87 replies
Votes:
+615
Discharged (CNTO Alumni)
Brexit has no connection with Putin , it was just a document describing it how it's done. But it might benefit him.
Posted Jun 26, 16
Votes:
+615
Discharged (CNTO Alumni)
Interesting, Scotland might block brexit. It would be a bold but also a good move.
Posted Jun 26, 16
Votes:
+133
Discharged
wrote:
Interesting, Scotland might block brexit. It would be a bold but also a good move.
Highly undemocratic so improbable. If a referendum exists then the likelyhood is low. Referendum being closest thing to "will of the people". Scotland being only 5m in the total of around 60m in UK.

Same way the "non binding" argument is BS. When this many people have voted and made a decision it is flat out undemocratic to ignore it and would be a political suicide.
Posted Jun 26, 16 · Last edited Jun 26, 16
Votes:
+615
Discharged (CNTO Alumni)
It can happen. New elections with party firmly promising staying in EU and winning. It cancels the referendum.
Posted Jun 26, 16
Votes:
+654
wrote:
Same way the "non binding" argument is BS. When this many people have voted and made a decision it is flat out undemocratic to ignore it and would be a political suicide.

And that would definitely work out in ideal world, where politicians aren't self indulging cretins and media incompetent and misleading. Only one million votes made the difference between staying and leaving, meaning that if there were another referendum or current ruling government ignores last referendum, it could very easily happen that nothing changes and without any repercussions. Although on next parliamentary elections there will definitely be a party or a coalition who will base their campaign on either leaving or staying.

To say leave voters are racists and bigots is a cheap shot, and unfounded one. Of course there are always individuals who are, but to generalise like that is just a way to discredit the whole lot and outright dismiss their arguments without even bothering to understand them.

Highway thanks for proving Godwin's law :d it was bound to happen.
Posted Jun 26, 16
Undo
Votes:
+133
Discharged
And that would definitely work out in ideal world, where politicians aren't self indulging cretins and media incompetent and misleading. Only one million votes made the difference between staying and leaving, meaning that if there were another refere wrote:

It is not naivety to consider this "non-binding" result currently as actually binding even though it officialy was not. Sure a new general election or a second referendum that is made officially binding would be able to overrule this referendum. That is just how it legally works. Newer opinion is more important than the older one. As an idea parliment and PM could flat out ignore the result and never send the formal result to EU which would start Article 50. But EU will be putting political pressure on UK to leave ASAP. As will the uncertain markets. Longer it sits in limbo, worse the economy will do for both but mostly UK. EU won't be able to force UK to start the proccess though.

So the chances of nothing changing and UK staying in EU are there but it is very unlikely. But you know global equity loss has been 2 Trillion dollars after Brexit. So maybe some small group of people actually start thinking about their decisions. This part is probably naive optimism.
Posted Jun 27, 16 · Last edited Jun 27, 16
Votes:
+353
Discharged (CNTO Alumni)
First Clarke :p
Posted Jun 28, 16
Undo
Votes:
+167
Discharged (CNTO Alumni)
'It wasn't a practice vote !' , I love that line in John Oliver's rant.
Posted Jun 28, 16
Undo
Votes:
+451
I'm getting really disturbed by the ammount of hate floating around at the moment. Even though half of us wanted to stay, EU ministers, (belgium especially.. fuck that guy) have been very rude to us. And it seems they're resigned to see us fail abysmally in defense of the integrity of the EU, as a message to would-be leavers

In my own country the young suddenly hates all old people because of a couple of sensationalized and overshared posts on facebook which I think is unfair. The bulk of voters did not vote leave just because they were old but because they live in depressed former industrial areas and have been taken in by ukip. It's really sad, especially considering that the youth of today don't know anything about sacrifice, which a lot of old people do, having fought in world war 2. At your age they were literally fighting fascism and dying en-masse, you're just clubbing in ibiza and getting wasted and saying you're fighting fascism.

Yes mostly the old voted leave, but so did people in economically butt-fucked areas with no jobs. Even I participated to some degree in anti-old people fervour.

My grandparents voted remain.
Posted Jun 29, 16 · Last edited Jun 29, 16
Undo
Votes:
+438
I think it's fair that the European politicians are pissed. Especially now that UK is waiting all the time they can before leaving. With this vote you've basically said "We're better off without you" and I think that even in the proffessional world that hurts. This union has been worked on for centuries and has achieved many fantastic things that your elders wouldn't have dreamt about when they were fighting fascism. Now the brits say they want out because of things that hardly touches them and especially not in a negative way. Suverinity, jobmobility, economy. So I think it's fair enough that the EU is a little rude to you.

About the elder I get that it might be unfair. At the same time there's probably a lot of frustration going around. Also you'd have to be at least 86 now to have fought in world war 2 so I think it's a little unfair to say that people should have respect for older people because some might be war veterans. Of course they should be nice but not because of that. But I agree that the hate at least should be put on people that can fight back.
Posted Jun 29, 16
Undo
Page
of 9
Login
Upcoming Events
Jan 25 '19
20:00
Jan 29 '19
Feb 01 '19