Forums
Page
of 9

Brexit

87 replies
Votes:
+463
It's still fair to say the older generation has screwed over the ypunger generation. It is fairer still to say the younger generation screwed themselves, and that the campaigns on both sides had massive amounts of both misinformation and, particularly for the leave side, flat out lies.
What worries me most is that this vote seems to have "legitimised" racism with a significant rise is race orientated hate crimes being reported. Ignorance of the conditions of the vote and what it actually entailed and could cause is the single biggest point of failure for this campaign.
Posted Jun 29, 16
Undo
Votes:
+201
wrote:
Also you'd have to be at least 86 now to have fought in world war 2

My grandad is 87 and he was only 16 in 1945. Some of his older siblings fought (but they are all gone now) so Anders has a point but I get where Price is coming from. I agree with Goat that there is a massive amount of racism in the UK that is very public since the vote. The whole putting 'Go Home' notes through mainlanders letterboxes is just ridiculous and makes me ashamed to be British. :angry:

I have several issues with the vote but no so much for the fact that old people voted out. I respect their view based on their own experiences. In theory they have much more knowledge about how things change over time so are in a good place to know what they are on about. What makes us young upstarts think we know better?

Several things bug me about the whole thing.

- One of the main drving forces behind the out vote is immigrants.

First of all, there are Europeans here on visas doing jobs that Brits don't want to. I get so pissed off with the large numbers of people who choose not to work, and even more upset at the goverment for supporting them with benefits! I have worked with several peoeple from Poland who are some of the hardest workest I have met. For one simple reason.They just get on with it!

People seem to think that it is all the EUs fault that so many immigrants are coming over from the Calais area. This is not a European problem, I believe it is a Middle Eastern/North African Problem. By trying to "stop" the immigrants we are putting a bandaid on a bullet wound. We should have put troops on the ground in Syria and Libya. We will probably end up going back to Afganistan and Iraq soon as well. We shouldn't start jobs were not prepared to finish and it's going to take decades or maybe even centuries to bring true stability to those regions, but only if we dedicate ourselves to the cause. If those areas were nice safe places to live, no-one would want to leave would they? Or am I an idiot?

- The other major factor was the whole "We give 370 million a week to Brussels that we could be spending on the NHS". Besides the fact that that figure has to be inflated, they ignore the fact that we get loads of money back in grants etc. South Wales has been massive beneficiaries of those grants, yet they voted out in record numbers (mostly because of the Immigrants issue). Now the leave campaigners are saying that they never promised to spend that money on the NHS, ignoring the fact that they had it written on the side of their bus!

I believe that this also ignores the fact that there is no way the EU will let us keep the current trade agreement, otherwise what's the point of being a member. So I'm sure a large portion of that money will go to import tax. None of which will get back!

- Overall there seems to be a lack of understanding as to what exactly the EU is and both campaigns spreading mis-information. How the hell is anyone suppose to make an informed decision if they keep feeding us bollocks all the time? (I really really really really hate politicians!).

Not to mention the idiot Farage who has stood up in the EU parliment and said that "all the MEPs are idiots who have never done a proper days work in their lives!" It certainly doesn't help and makes Britain look like a joke.

I'm not saying that if any of the above were different that the outcome of the vote would have been remain, and I don't presume to be correct with any of the above (like I said, we never recieved the correct info). All I know is that I don't believe that the EU is responsible for these problems, people just look for an easy answer. They want to see the world in black and white and ignore the reality that is grey.

Whew! Rant over with, and I feel better for it. :snore:

Thanks for letting me vent guys! :thumb:
Posted Jun 29, 16 · OP
Undo
Votes:
+615
Discharged (CNTO Alumni)
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/flashback/pretend-like-it-never-happened-brexit-as-told-by-seinfeld/news-story/52ca8a5854dc49e7f635462bb2f6723c
Posted Jun 30, 16
Votes:
+133
Discharged
I wonder how much of this elites vs working class as its portrayed has to do with UK media. UK media seems to be 70% crap tabloid and then there are few world class publications. No wonder that populist sentiment can overule the common sense if the common sense points aren't even explained in the majority of the media that Uk seems to consume.
Posted Jun 30, 16 · Last edited Jun 30, 16
Votes:
+451
wrote:
I wonder how much of this elites vs working class as its portrayed has to do with UK media. UK media seems to be 70% crap tabloid and then there are few world class publications. No wonder that populist sentiment can overule the common sense if the common sense points aren't even explained in the majority of the media that Uk seems to consume.
wrote:
Oh it is. There are very few newspapers that aren't biassed towards some political allignment or don't publish sensationalist garbage. Even the BBC itself is basically owned by the conservative party, which subtly brainwashes people into thinking that progressive politicians are weak.
Posted Jul 3, 16
Votes:
+1,083
Apparently, not only "older generation" felt the need to vote "out":

Disinformation roams the world of old and young.

Really interesting "view", before the vote:
Posted Jul 4, 16 · Last edited Jul 4, 16
Votes:
+615
Discharged (CNTO Alumni)
Yeah, it's painfully obvious how general working population is unaware to understand the inner workings of the capitalism and contradictions that go with it. And they draw the wrong conclusion out of it. Poverty in the UK has previously little to do with EU, a lot to do with capitalism but also the blame is on nation for picking up on false messiah and choosing wrong political parties. I guess one could not do much wrong in reading Marx and Schumpeter.

Neoliberal agenda has to be countered with socially aware, fair political and economic science.
Posted Jul 6, 16
Votes:
+353
Discharged (CNTO Alumni)
Posted Jul 27, 16
Page
of 9
Login
Upcoming Events
Jan 25 '19
20:00
Jan 29 '19