Forums
Page
of 2

Fregh-AI Test

16 replies
Votes:
+1,004
Hey guys

For those who haven't been following the discussion on our Brainstorming forums, Freghar made an amazing AI mod (unofficially called "Fregh-AI") and will be conducting a mini-op scale testing session this Thursday.

This is the third and most likely last testing event for the new AI. If you got time and want to join please sign up on our calendar.

Make sure to follow Lastmikoi 's instructions on how to join the dev server with the correct mod pack.

Let's get as many play-testers as possible. For science! :geek:
Posted Mar 5, 18 · OP · Last edited Mar 6, 18
Votes:
+1,088
Discharged (CNTO Alumni)
wrote:
(unofficially called "Fregh-AI")

I did not propose nor do I condone using such name for the creation. That being said, while developing for World of Warcraft, I made custom AI for Stormwind (SW) and Orgrimmar (OG) guards, with debug output on /salute, etc. And I called the guards SWOGAI warriors. So it's close.

wrote:
Make sure to follow Freghar's instructions on how to join the dev server with the correct mod pack - see brainstorming thread.

Make sure to not follow the instructions, the linked google drive file is super outdated.

Instead, make sure to follow Lastmikoi 's instructions on:
http://www.carpenoctem.co/forums/m/26081621/viewthread/31716614-how-to-join-development-server
Posted Mar 5, 18
Undo
Votes:
+1,004
wrote:
I did not propose nor do I condone using such name for the creation.

*cough* Mikoi made me do it. *cough* :lol:

What do you wanna call the mod?
Posted Mar 5, 18 · OP
Votes:
+1,088
Discharged (CNTO Alumni)
wrote:
*cough* Mikoi made me do it. *cough* :lol:

What do you wanna call the mod?
I never said you couldn't call it that, just that I personally cannot get behind something he himself pronounces "Fregay". :)

In my opinion, it's not really something worthy of an official name, it's just a small part of our cnto-additions. We never called the "old" AI any names. But feel free. :)
Posted Mar 6, 18
Votes:
+616
Discharged (CNTO Alumni)
Freghar - can you please write less then 3 paragraphs of recommendations for mission makers (here or somewhere?). It would be useful to avoid slaughter. :)
Posted Mar 6, 18
Votes:
+1,004
Updated the OP to link the new joining procedure.

Freghar Something this awesome deserves a name, so I'll just call it Freghtastic-AI for now.
Posted Mar 6, 18 · OP · Last edited Mar 6, 18
Votes:
+168
Freghar Adjusts Bots To Actually Shoot Tank In Combat - FABTASTIC

Computers Now Target Operators with Armour & Infantry. - CNTO-AI

Firing Reach Extended, Generating Heightened Aggressive Responses - FREGHAR

Bots Use Tactics To Flank Units Camping, Killing at Extended Ranges.

Juvenile Acronyms. Soul Hurts.
Posted Mar 6, 18 · Last edited Mar 6, 18
Undo
Votes:
+1,088
Discharged (CNTO Alumni)
wrote:
Freghar - can you please write less then 3 paragraphs of recommendations for mission makers (here or somewhere?). It would be useful to avoid slaughter. :)
Honestly, after testing it with more people, the AI isn't really that deadly, so no changes (in numbers or otherwise) are needed. At CQB, I feel we had a better chance of survival (assuming proper sector coverage) than with old AI, at long range it didn't really matter as long as you stay in cover and didn't piss off anything with HE rounds bigger than 50mm.

That being said, the increased volume of fire and explosions will cause more deaths and probably more frustrating deaths, which is why I was recommending to do the medical change alongside the AI change (in the original topic), so that a tank shell 10 meters away (or an UGL grenade near you) causes heavy injuries rather than an insta death.

I would very much like to avoid situations where we advise MMs to not use AI with UGLs, ATs, MGs, cannons, etc. because it can now kill players.

I guess I would have something for Zeus GMs:
  1. try not to use remote control in combat, it can break immersion a lot
  2. besides spawning units, your two most used modules should be "Reveal enemies" and "Forget enemies"
  3. use "Reveal enemies" to increase the amount of fire in a firefight, because the AI will know the player positions more precisely, thus shooting more
  4. please don't misuse it outside combat or on players who are not actively shooting, AI spotting simulation is very good and simulates concealment, triangulation, trajectory estimation, shooter position approximation, etc., so the AI will likely have more realistic spotting if an all-seeing Zeus doesn't interfere
  5. in 99% of cases, don't use suppressive fire functionality, "Reveal enemies" is sufficient
  6. use "Suppressive Fire (BIS)" to prioritize targets, such as an AI infantry shooting on a helicopter flying overhead
  7. if an AI unit (vehicle) gets stuck and refuses to move to a next waypoint after seeing some enemies, use "Forget enemies" (on the vehicle or its group), it should start moving few seconds later
  8. use green/yellow/red faces in group UI appropriately - a "green face" casually walking unit will have much slower reactions, giving players a bigger chance to not be noticed when ie. sneaking around, ... OTOH switch most/all units in an area to "red face" if they should be on alert, making them break formation, take cover and watch sectors

TL;DR - just spawn units and give them waypoints, in the vast majority of cases, they'll figure stuff on their own.
Posted Mar 6, 18 · Last edited Mar 6, 18
Undo
Votes:
+1,004
Bumping this thread to hopefully boost our sign-ups for this Thursday.
Posted Mar 7, 18 · OP
Votes:
+317
After the resent test i don't have to add much more than this change would be highly appreciated... at least for me!
Posted Mar 8, 18
Page
of 2
Login
Upcoming Events
Apr 02 '19
20:00
Apr 05 '19
Apr 12 '19
Apr 16 '19